January 21, 2015

January Things

These boys keep me on my toes every day. I love them so much--even when they make me the craziest I've ever been. This mothering thing really baffles me at times and makes me feel totally inept at others. But I'm trying. I try so hard be better and to improve so I can show these boys I love them. I am trying to raise them to be kind, respectful human beings, though their intentions seem to be at complete odds with these ideas--why do they always want to be bad guys? Anyway, they are hilarious and adorable and crazy and they sometimes play nice together. I love the moments when I hear them talking and playing so nicely--especially sweet are Devin's offers of, "Do you want me to read that book to you?"
The moments I dread are the moments when they start beating on each other, which prompts Devin's whining and screaming and then Landon commences scowling and telling me why he did what he did, which is usually that Devin was mean to him first. Oh, can they be so mean. Some mornings I swear Landon wakes up with one thought in his mind: "If I relentlessly tease Devin today, I bet I can make him scream for time on end." Newsflash, yes, Landon Boy, you can. I've tried to employ the "getting along bench" where they have to sit together on the bench until they each are ready to tell me what they did and then are ready to apologize to each other. (Here they are so upset that I'm taking their picture.)
This always provides entertainment for me, albeit usually because there is more whining and fighting involved, and they really hate it. One day they were sitting there and Landon was just continuing to beat on Devin (which I was trying to stop) and when Devin tried to ask Landon to stop Landon just used his best evil whisper voice to inform him, "NEVER!!" Which, of course, started off a whole new round of screaming and whining. Oh my. In the eye of the frustrating storm, it does make it better when Landon gives us his grumpiest faces. He is a hoot, that child.
Besides fighting with each other and making each other cry, they do enjoy eating popcorn and watching movies together. Family movie night is always a huge hit. They can down a huge bowl of popcorn in no time.
I'm not sure we're making any great strides toward familial peace, but we have had a fairly good month. These boys are hilarious, and I will never tire of their kisses and hugs and "I love yous."

No comments: