July 12, 2016

Solid Foods

The night before Nora's 6-month appointment we were having sweet potatoes for dinner, so I mashed some up and let her try them. She opened her mouth right up, and we could tell she was excited about getting food. But the texture wasn't smooth since I didn't use the blender, so she was like, "Um, no thanks." Ha!

 


 After I blended them up the next day, she took them much better, though it still took her a few days to figure out the tongue thrust so all her food didn't come back out. At her 6-month appointment the doctor gave me the official go-ahead to start Nora on solid foods and probably wondered why I hadn't started her already. I'd waited so long mostly because I was lazy! She wasn't really showing signs of readiness until right before the appointment anyway, so it was just easier to not have to worry about solids.



I never could get her to like Mum-Mum rice crackers. I was shocked since that was a staple with the boys. She moved right on to Ritz and graham crackers. I ended up giving away the rest of the Mum-Mums to a friend with a baby just a few months younger than Nora.


After eating for a few months, I would say she's been a great eater overall. She still is picky about breakfast, and I haven't gotten her amounts there figured out, but she does really well with most foods. I've been braver about feeding her from the table sooner than I did the boys. Mostly I think this is (once again) because I'm lazy and don't want to do baby food anymore, but also the doctor told me that recommendations are different now and that it's better to give food earlier that might cause allergies. So since my family has lactose and gluten allergies, after the first month or so I stopped giving her one food at a time and just started giving her anything and everything I thought she could eat. And she's done great.  I'm mostly happy that she likes avocados since both boys hate them, and I can officially say she's on "Team Cilantro." At almost-nine-months (oh how sad it's taken me this long to blog about her first food) she really doesn't have a long list of dislikes. She did get over her hatred for bananas once I realized she liked them cold, but she still doesn't gobble them up. She didn't like broccoli on the first tries, and peas aren't her favorite, but I would say she will take bites of everything else. Watermelon and green beans are her very favorite foods. But, as I said, she likes avocados a lot and blueberries. Cottage cheese is a good thing for her and she likes pasta. Anyway, so happy that's she's a fairly good eater. Love her dirty face :)

No comments: